Tuesday, April 22, 2008
1. Philosophy of Death at Yale University by Professor Kelly Kagan
2. Introduction to Psychology at Yale University by Professor Paul Bloom
3. Positive Psychology at Harvard University by Tal D. Ben-Shahar
4. Introduction to Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
I have been thinking about the possible mechanism of actions of kindness in generating happiness. This is what i have figured out:
1. When we help others, we discover that there are people with worse problem.
2. When we help others, we discover that we are not the only one having similar problem.
3. When we help others, we may be helped by others who are grateful to us.
4. When we help others, we focus on our strengths and this promotes self-esteem.
5. When we help others, we become less preoccupied with our own problems.
6. When we help others, we may be appreciated and this makes us feel good.
7. When we help others, we get to meet more people, make friends and ventilate our problems.
8. When we help others, we get to settle our unresolved guilt.
9. When we help others, we activate parts of our brain responsible for happiness.
10. When we help others, a spiritual law automatically rewards us with happiness.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Don't worry, be happy!
Dr. Martin Seligman - a psychologist
What doesn't increase happiness very much?
1. Having a lot of money
2. Getting married
3. Having children
What makes people happy?
Dr. Pepper Schwartz - a sociologist
1. Give yourself permission to be happy
2. Accentuate the positive
3. Spend time to do things that make you happy
4. See a doctor if you have a psychiatrict disorder
Dr. Sonya Lyubomirsky - a psychologist
1. Count your blessings
2. Practice act of kindness
3. Be optimistic and positive in thinking
4. Having happy relationship and friendship
Psychology of satisfaction
Dr. Marci - author of "Happiness For No Reason"
50% - genetics
10% - circumstances
40% - habitual thoughts and actions
1. Pay particular attention to the good time
2. Express gratitude and count your blessings
3. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people
4. Wish others well and happy